The home inspection profession is regulated in Ohio. Follow the steps below to become a licensed home inspector in Ohio.
The new law requires Ohio home inspectors to:
- Complete a fingerprint-based criminal records check
- Be at least age 18 with diploma or GED
- Complete 80 hours of classroom or online prelicensing education
- Complete 40 hours of field experience or 10 parallel inspections
- Pass the National Home Inspector Exam (NHIE)
- Obtain General liability insurance ($100,000/$300,000 aggregate)
- Complete 14 hours of continuing education during the 3-year license period
Ohio's home inspector licensing law passed in Jan. 2019, but is not expected to take effect until late in the year, so after passing PHII's online home inspection training course you can start inspecting right away, while working towards the law's requirements.
You will also receive PHII's Advanced course to help prepare you for the National Home Inspector Exam (NHIE), which is a requirement for your Ohio Home Inspector License.
Realtors, Lenders, home buyers and home owners want to make sure a home inspector has been properly trained and certified. PHII will give you a nationally recognized home inspector certification and the credentials you need to become a successful home inspector in Ohio. Becoming certified now may help you become licensed through Ohio's grandfathering rules which require 80 hours of home inspector education.
Ohio Home Inspector Certification
And over $1,000 in BONUSES!
$199 Free NAAHI Membership!
$149 Free InspectHost Website!
$395 Free Advanced Course!
$399 Free Report Software!
All for Only $595
To Be Announced.
(PHII will submit an application for approval as soon as the board has formed.)
Ohio Home Inspector Grandfathering Requirements
(Expected to start in late spring)
- Submit fingerprint-based criminal records check
- Proof of General liability insurance ($100,000/$300,000 aggregate)
AND meet any three (3) of the following:
- Having performed at least 200 home inspections for clients for compensation
- Having successfully passed the National Home Inspector Examination (NHIE)
- Having actively operated a home inspection business in Ohio for three years with business name registered with state
- Having been employed as a home inspector for the consecutive 36 months before the bill's effective date by an inspection company or individual whose owner or manager meets the license requirements in the bill
- Having successfully completed 80 hours of home inspector instruction that follows national standards
- Having a license, registration, or certification in good standing to perform the duties of a home inspector in another jurisdiction that requires a license
- Having prepared at least five home inspection reports that have been verified as being in compliance with standards adopted by a national home inspector organization
- Having completed, not more than one year before the bill's effective date, at least one peer review session conducted by a national home inspector organization
As the industry grows, many states are enacting or changing legislation requiring training, supervised inspections and examinations for home inspectors. PHII students have had great success passing state and national exams, and you also receive FREE continuing education credits with your enrollment! Please check the website periodically for updates about current licensing laws or call toll free (800) 983-6322
Professional Home Inspection Institute
1533 NW 2nd St, Madison, SD 57042
Toll Free 800-983-6322
Included in PHII's Ohio
Home Inspector Training
Home inspection topics covered in our Ohio home inspector certification program
Each home inspection lesson starts by listing the objectives you will learn, followed by a short practice quiz to check your prior knowledge, the lesson content, a review and a quiz. Below are the subjects you will master as you take the online home inspection training course. All course objectives are aligned with national standards of practice for home inspectors.
Introduction to Home Inspection Terminology
Limits and Exclusions for Home Inspections
Site, Grounds and Grading
Exterior and Structure
Insulation & Ventilation
Bathrooms and Kitchens
Basement & Crawlspace
Heating and Air Conditioning
Garage and Carport
Conducting a Home Inspection
Home Inspection Business Start-Up
Mold and Allergens
Radon in Air and Water
After passing PHII's home inspector exam and meeting any other state requirements, you will be well-qualified to perform residential home inspections in Ohio.
Frequently Asked Questions About Our Ohio
Home Inspection Training Program
How long does your home inspection course for Ohio
home inspection course can be completed in 1-2 weeks based on your past level of experience. However,
you can take as much time as needed, and there are no limits on re-taking exams. The total course time for training in Ohio
is broken up into hours for course instruction, field assignments, report writing and testing. PHII's Ohio
course allows you to take your time or push yourself through quickly.How much does the Ohio
home inspection training cost?
Professional Home Inspection Institute will teach you how to become a home inspector in Ohio
for the lowest average tuition rate in the industry. The course comes complete with all required instructional materials including 100% online access, workbook, back-up CDs, DVDs, and other materials you need to become a home inspector in Ohio
. You can view the current prices by clicking the link on this page or by calling 1-800-983-6322.
What is home inspection errors and omissions insurance?
Home inspectors in Ohio
should consider getting Errors and Omissions (E&O) insurance, which is a professional liability policy covering the policyholder for negligent acts and omissions that occur during an inspection. A good Errors and Omissions liability policy can help limit your out-of-pocket expenses if you are named in a lawsuit in Ohio
should a problem occur with a home inspection. Our coursework is approved for Ohio
home inspector errors and omissions insurance by major insurance underwriters.
Why should I choose PHII for home inspection training?
PHII gives Ohio
residents interactive training, experienced support, a lot of value and the most affordable tuition
in the industry. Plus we offer a satisfaction guarantee. Over the years we have successfully trained thousands
of home inspectors throughout the U.S. and Canada, including many home inspectors in Ohio. We have been there to support our students from Ohio
during and after the training. We have up-to-date Ohio home inspection course material,
and we provide a turn-key system for setting up your own home inspection business in Ohio.
Questions about home inspection course enrollment?
Call us toll-free at 800-983-6322
Free 1-YEAR NAAHI Membership for Ohio Home Inspector Graduates
As a gold-level NAAHI-accredited training provder, PHII can offer all Ohio home inspector graduates a free 1-year membership in the North American Association of Home Inspectors (NAAHI), a national non-profit professional home inspector association.