The home inspection profession is regulated in Illinois, and PHII's home inspector certification can help you get started! Use code cybersale to save $200! View Program Details. Illinois requires new home inspectors to complete several steps before applying for a home inspector license. Follow the path below to become a licensed home inspector in Illinois.
1) Be at least 18 years of age
2) Obtain a high school diploma or GED
3) Complete 60 hours of Illinois-approved pre-license education (PHII is fully approved by Illinois)
4) Complete 5 field events (mock inspections)
5) Pass the Illinois Home Inspector Examination (PHII's home inspection training course fully prepares you)
6) Submit $250 Illinois application fee
7) 12 hours (six per year) of continuing education for Illinois renewal
Field Inspection Events are an examination and evaluation of the exterior and interior components of a residential property conducted by a candidate for a home inspection license under the supervision of a licensed home inspector with at least 5 years experience. Students must schedule these events with an inspector for a separate fee. PHII will help you get started.
Additional Steps to Advance Your Illinois Home Inspection Career
1) Join a Professional Home Inspector Association. PHII pays for your first year of membership in the North American Association of Home Inspectors (AHI). Many states also have their own home inspector associations you can join for networking opportunities.
2) Join a Multi-Inspector Company in Illinois to gain experience, or start your own business. Established home inspection companies in Illinois are always looking for new home inspectors to work for them. Businesses provide benefits, professional insurance and home inspection scheduling.
3) Register Your Own Business in Illinois and obtain general liability insurance and/or errors and omissions (E&O) insurance. Home inspector insurance policies are affordable and will protect you against career-ending lawsuits. Build your own home inspection business in Illinois and enjoy the success that follows!
PHII's Illinois home inspection certification is approved by real estate and building commissions, and major insurance providers. PHII is also affiliated will major professional associations including ASHI, AHI, CREIA, and FABI. The home inspector certification material for Illinois is aligned with national standards of practice for home inspectors and is updated regularly. We teach Illinois students the key information that they must inspect for and include in the home inspection report.
Every lesson is concise and written in clear language that is easy to understand. Our interactive Illinois home inspection certification course is designed in-house by experienced and qualified home instructors who understand the trade and how to teach it. PHII offers the most complete, self-paced Illinois home inspection training on the market today. You receive instant online access and have an option to receive course materials that are shipped to you. Our course management system is unmatched in features and interactive technology.
You can access the Illinois home inspection training on wi-fi devices including tablets and smart phones, and the course can be completed in as little as 1-2 weeks. Unlike other online courses, there is no time limit, so you can take as much time as you need. Become an Illinois home inspector at whatever pace you set, quickly or over time. Your home inspector certification course never expires!
Illinois Div. of Banks and Real Estate Approved
Free 1-YEAR AHI Membership for Illinois Home Inspector Graduates
Upon achieving home inspector certification, PHII can offer all Illinois home inspector graduates a free $289 membership in the North American Association of Home Inspectors (AHI), a national non-profit professional home inspector association.
Looking for Online Home Inspector Training Outside of Illinois?
The first step in starting your home inspector career is to understand the path to a home inspector license. The process can be simple or lengthy depending on the state. In some cases you can train entirely online to obtain your home inspector license or certification. In other cases you can train online and complete field training to meet home inspector requirements. Even if your location does not require a home inspector license, you still need to be properly trained and certified in order to stand out from the competition. That is where home inspector certification from PHII gives you the advantage because we go beyond the minimum training a home inspector needs so that you can hit the ground running. PHII is also there to support you along the way as you start inspecting and need help if you run into problems. Start by understanding your state requirements by clicking the links below to states where PHII offers online home inspector certification in the U.S.
Home Inspector License in the U.S.
PHII offers home inspector continuing education and numerous certifications to help you learn more, earn more and grow your home inspection business. At PHII our mission is to provide you with the best home inspector training to prepare you for a successful real estate career, along with the support you need down the road. PHII-trained home inspectors are never alone. With PHII, your home inspector training is truly at your pace. You always have access to PHII course material and support. Every online certification course comes with lifetime access.
© Professional Home Inspection Institute (PHII). All rights reserved.